Contact DisComforting Ignorance

Have thoughts, comments, criticisms, requests, or proselytization? Email disco.igno@gmail.com

No prayers. (Why not?)

Saturday, September 27, 2008

This Just In: 2+2=5




Ray decided to move out of the way to let an argument go over someone else's head today:
Moses said...Like you, I don't believe in Hindu gods. I don't believe in Chinese Ancestor worship. I don't believe in Shintoism. I don't believe in the Thunder-bird or Old Man Coyote. I don't believe in Thor, Odin or Freya. Heck Ray, I don't believe in the Easter Bunny or Santa." [...]

Do you use the same reasoning with math? 2+2= "Oh, there's no answer, because I don’t believe the answer is 1, or 2, or 3, or 5, or Santa, or Thor..."
Yes, I use the same reasoning with math. Why don't I believe that 2+2=1? Because it doesn't add up. I don't believe that 2+2=1 for the same reason I don't believe that 2+2=2: because it doesn't add up.

I don't believe Thor exists for the same reason I don't believe God exists: because it doesn't add up.

But the math analogy is even more well chosen. If this were a math test, you would fail because you didn't show your work. All you've done is written down the answer "God." I'm perfectly willing to accept that the answer is God, but if you don't show your work, don't expect me to. Why should I believe the answer is God any more than 42? They both have had the same amount of work shown.

No comments: