Contact DisComforting Ignorance

Have thoughts, comments, criticisms, requests, or proselytization? Email disco.igno@gmail.com

No prayers. (Why not?)

Monday, July 7, 2008

Primates and Tablecloths

While I do not have television at home, I have been enjoying it where I am staying on my trip. I noticed the Kirk Cameron show on some Christian network. I flip to it and thought I'd share the first minute I just watched.

Ray and Kirk are sitting in a restaurant with an orangutan at a table. Apparently they were trying to do some skit where they eat and have a conversation with it. They were unable to as it kept sucking on the tablecloth.

It cuts to Ray and Kirk discussing the problem. Ray goes on something along the following: (purely paraphrasing here)
It reinforced the fact that the primate lacks something unique to humans, such as reason and understanding. This is why we don't see them forming orchestras, or gathering together in a court system to adjudicate disputes. This is because they are not simply a pre-historic, lesser evolved human; they are a different species.
It then cut to Kirk quote-mining the Origin of Species to paint Darwin as a misogynist racist (as if that would at all discredit the scientific theory of evolution...), at which point I changed the channel.

2 comments:

flinging dust said...

I wouldn't have gotten that far. Have you seen the video where they try to make airline reservations for the chimp? They try claiming he is a relative and then state something to the effect that since the airline won't let them bring on a chimp they must not be our relatives and we must not be descended from them. Sometimes I think Ray and Kirk share a brain cell and it's a toss up as to who gets to use it on what day.

Anonymous said...

Ray said...
" they are a different species."

No freaking way!! Ray is really doing some ground breaking work in the biology field, someone give him a doctorate.

"It then cut to Kirk quote-mining the Origin of Species to paint Darwin as a misogynist racist (as if that would at all discredit the scientific theory of evolution...), at which point I changed the channel."

Wasn't James Watson a racist? I guess all that stuff about the structure of DNA is wrong. I've seen the show you're talking about , way of the master, many of my brain cells were fried by stupidness that day. They mostly use quotes as "evidence" for their position. I wonder if that has anything to do with accepting the bible as truth because there are many quotes in it.